This holiday season, I’m all about my greatest hits: tiny mini skirts, silky slip dresses, chunky sweaters, and old-school separates like smoking jackets and ballerina wrap skirts. I can pretty much boil it all down to sweaters and satin, and I’m good with that.
The thing that makes all the little bits possible is a couple anchor sweater cardigans. Layer, people! (And modesty, too.) Also, there are different types of holiday parties: dark ones in restaurants where the only way anyone sees what you’re wearing is in flash photo of the event later, ones where you’re sitting at a table and no one sees your shoes or bottom half, and the full-body, mingle around parties. I try to dress accordingly so I’m not wasting a great skirt at a dinner where no one will see it, or missing out on a cool neckline when that’s all anyone’s gonna notice.
That said, without further ado here are thing things getting me through five birthdays and seventy-hundred holiday parties this month.
- Madewell wafflestitch sweater cardigan. This sweater really takes the cake so far this season. I wear it over nightgowns in the morning drinking coffee, over my athleisure b.s., and over silky slip dresses. (Effort; what effort?) It’s so, so soft and the perfect shade of grey and looks great over lacy tops and jeans. Check out their sweater coats right now; plenty to choose from.
- Rag & Bone ribbon sweater coat. This heavy, giant thing serves a similar purpose, but I dig the red and the punk plaid vibes. The perfect thing to wear to a movie on a winter day (have tested this theory twice so far).
- Fleur du Mal star trimmed tank top. I’m a camisole enthusiast, and I’ve worn my Cami NYC racer tanks into the ground so I needed something more festive—boop! I’m all about their non-lingerie separates these days. I also got the velvet bodysuit, and while I don’t look like Kendall Jenner in it by any stretch, I’m going to see if I can make it work.
- Mother Runaway skinny flare jeans in black. These are 100% my go-to this season and I love the unexpected bootcut—a little fancier than skinny jeans. For white looks, I’m falling back on my Joie flare jeans.
- Silky slip dresses. I got this mauve Fleur du Mal slip and a sapphire blue Michelle Mason one for slinkier, cocktail nights. Layer them under a long sleeved t-shirt for 90s-inspired, I wanna be Liv Tyler awesomeness.
- Zimmerman lace off-shoulder top. Sometimes you have to go balls out and make a statement—or, on the flipside, you have this shirt and will probably never get a better opportunity to wear it than the holidays. Snagged it on sale at Saks and took a big risk on it, but I actually love it (and so does Chad!?). Winter white might seem played out, but I say go for it once this season—you’re likely to stand out at the party.
Sorry for all the mirror pics—real life, yo.