[Drinks at The Idle Rocks in St. Mawes, UK.]
I have a full recap to follow, but I am nearly wrapped up with a 2-week trip to Europe and so far have to pat myself on the back as far as packing goes. The layers have worked in an array of weather conditions, I feel pretty cute AF, and there isn’t much I haven’t worn yet—with 4 days to go.
Shopbop has a sale going on, which always makes it a good time to stock up on the basics that make this sort of tricky packing endeavor a breeze. You get 20% off an order less than $500, and 25% off more than 500—and it’s running through Sept 29 at 11:59 PST.
Our trip has been mostly an active one—a few days hiking the Cornish coast in England, a few days trekking across London, and a few hauling around Belgium and Amsterdam—so it’s tricky to have comfortable stuff during the day and something passable to wear at night.
A few brands have carried me through, and each are worth checking out if you are heading to a casual, low-key destination where you’re fairly certain you’ll be heading out to a nice dinner or two.
So far, if you’re heading anywhere in the fall with a chance of inclement weather, I suggest:
- a great hat
- two bags: a backpack style, and a small cross-body for nights out
- two pairs of jeans: one skinny, one with more character (I’m beyond thrilled I went for it with some cropped flares! super cute with flats)
- one pair of black jeans if you have space: I went with a slim Mother bootcut that went great with a belt and tucked in silk blouse
- athletic clothes that are cute enough to wear with regular clothes and shoes (see: Monteil’s tie-back shirt, bras, and Lululemon tie-back tanks)
- scarves (I went for two of the same super lightweight wool Rag & Bone dagger scarves in different colors, bonus travel blanket)
- belts in different tones (I took three: beige, black, and brown to coordinate)
- real-life sneakers (for running and/or hiking)
- fun-time sneakers: I finally splurged on some Golden Goose velvet sneakers exclusive to Shopbop to wear with jeans
- cute flats for jeans and skirts
- one pair of heels—booties are your friend
- a packable dress
- two packable silk tops for nice dinners (I did two Joie Marlow tops and my two favorite Mother shirts)
- leather jacket
- cotton jacket
- a sweatshirt
- a sweater
- one packable skirt if you’re feeling bold
- a layering shirt (denim shirt works great and doubles as a jacket)—I went with my trusty Rails start-print denim shirt
Shopbop’s sale has a few things I can recommend if you’re pulling off a late fall trip somewhere and need some packable, versatile things. It’s a great spend-some-get-some sale, so if you need to stock up a bit, now’s a good time.
Some of my packing list picks:
[Rails Jimi button down, Golden Goose suede sneakers, Rag & Bone boyfriend belt, Rag & Bone wool scarf, Rag & Bone floppy brim fedora, Rag & Bone capri jeans, Mother crop flares, 360 Sweater cashmere pullover, Rag & Bone Newbury boots, Clu lace-trimmed slip dress.]
Some more sneak peeks from the trip:
[Mother TOURIST sweatshirt.]
[These Isabel Marant flats have been perfect! And so has this Mother army jacket.]